Upgradation & Updation!!!

I asked my Team head from UK to review a document with title ‘Upgradation of System’ He wrote me back the word ‘Upgradation’ itself is wrong and denied to review. I said it’s the title from a client in South Asian Country, we cannot change it.

This was not the first time he was worried about these words, ‘Upgradation’& ‘Updation.’ I wanted to know what was wrong as I was using these words from childhood. 

I came across a page: https://english.stackexchange.com where someone’s justification was humorous. He wrote:

Quote

It's an informal word created by informal English users who collectively influence large group of users/people. Most of these words originated from India (eg. upgradation, updation). Basically, it is used by English users (Indians) confidently thus influencing the other non-familiar English user that it is a formal word. With India's population these words had become common through the years. Nevertheless, these words are not formally acceptable to native English users.

Unquote

Have you ever wondered why you get a spell check when you type "Updation" in MS Word? Try it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today!!

Carrying it Each day.

Infinite Love: Illuminating Lives Everywhere!