Ennakke Inioru Peru Irukku, Teriyumono!!!


Ennakku Inioru Peru Irukku, 'I have Another Name!!!' is dedicated to all the people who have a kilometer of letters as their real name but are confortable to be known with their nick names as their real names are been kept in the memory of their grandfather and grand mothers because their father and mother's name were dedicated to their great grandfather and great grandmother. 
Yes, Like many other Tambrahms, I was initially known as Ramakrishnan, just because my father named my brother with his grandfather name and so my mother wanted to name me so with her father, my Thatha's name. Now you would be wondering what would be wrong with the name. Being born and brought up in Maharashtra, everyone would be aware of how important does a person's surname stands for. 
Now I was named Ramakrishnan, my father's name is Krishnamoorthy and my Thatha's name again Rama Iyer, there is a repetition of Ramas and Krishnas. I'm not offensive with the names, even now many of my school friends call me Rama, and I really like that. I know you would be wondering what would be the real problem. 
While in school and many other places where someone asks me, 
''Name!" 
"My name is Ramakrishnan" 
Father's name" 
"Krishnamoorthy" 
"Surname" 
"I don’t have any!" 
There the person gets sophisticated and further asks, "How do you don’t have surname?" 
"Simple no one in my family and neither in my native have a surname." 
"We have here Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Patil, More, etc., you don’t have any?" 
"No we don’t use them" I used to answer.  
Sometimes wise people do understand and write my name correctly and sometimes some idiots do err and my name is called as Rama, father's name as Krishna and surname as Moorthy. Wait where did my Krishna go?  
'He would have gone for breaking Dahi Handi!!!' 
Pissed, really pissed I realized the things are getting more complicated while getting into High school, because once the name is printed in your Marksheet henceforth it is going to get continued and if we change them later, we would be giving more reasons. To avoid such situation I thought, 'Ennaku thaan vera chella peru irukke, athaiye real peru aakuvom!'(I had a nickname, let's make it the Real Name!) 
As many of my relatives and friends close to me were familiar with my nickname, I too was called Sridhar at home which is now my real name.  
Namma Community la Chella perukku panjamana?? Namma thaan Parthirpome neraya Kalyana Patrikela, Venkateshwaran (Bracket la) Vishnu weds Parvathi(Braket la) Paru. Apram Padmanabhan Alias Paddy, Chandrashekaran Alias Chandu, AnanthaKrishnan Alia Anandu, etc. Etc 
Athemadri, In the same way I changed my name to Sridhar and also attached a Surname with my name to avoid further questions and confusions. So today I'm called as Sridhar Iyer. 
I was never ashamed of name, its because of the love we have with our parents and grandparents we name our children so, even I would definitely name my child with my father's name. Even in every royal empire, whether it was Marathas, Chollas, or Shaikhs of UAE, many of their rulers names are getting repeated just  because there was something close with the name and It had some power driven that needs to be alive. Similarly there is a story behind every Sheshadri, Subramani(Subbu), Gopalakrishnan, and so on... 


Comments

  1. Pwori machuu..:-)
    Even me also Ramakrishnan L G..
    Friends call me as Eda Raama..!! :-P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today!!

Carrying it Each day.

Infinite Love: Illuminating Lives Everywhere!